Monday, March 7, 2011

Deck Construction

Transform My Home

 
Moving on to the back yard my deck was the next big project. As you can see the yard was quite barren except for the large maple tree which I decided to build the deck around. One reason that there is no grass under the tree now is that the maple tree is a Norway maple which is considered an invasive species. The tree is so densely packed with leaves that no sun at all can penetrate which in turn kills anything growing under it that needs sun to survive. Also they put out a prolific amount of seedlings, you know those little helicopter things that sprout new baby norway maples everywhere. I decided to keep the tree for the shade benefits but it also looks kind of cool with a tree in the middle of the deck. I am not proud to say but this decision did cost me trip to the emergency room, as I was trimming a few large lower limbs one of them caught me in the lip. The force put my bottom teeth through my lip which required several stitches to close the hole in said lip. Lets all remember our chainsaw safety, never use a saw while on a step ladder.

As you can see I am attaching the deck to an existing screened in porch by installing a ledger board to porch posts. The entire deck is almost 500 square feet and has three levels as the grade slopes down quite a bit in the back yard. I wound up digging seven holes for ten inch footings 42 inches deep, of course I obtained a permit so this was all inspected. The inspector wants to see the holes dug to the correct depth then he will come back for the final inspection. The Town of Farmington has all the code requirements on their website as do most towns. In the first picture I am laying everything out to make sure the deck will be square and level.


Here you can see the framing which consisted of 2X10 beams and 2X8 joists. All pressure treated lumber was used for framing and decking. Back when I  built this, wood decking was the norm and composite material was just starting to come out but was very expensive. Not having much money at the time I went with wood which has held up well for the last 14 years with proper maintenance. The dogs, Leah and Chance are standing on the first level and then you can see the lower two levels which are beginning to have the decking installed.


Here I am beginning to install the railings on the upper levels, these I actually bought at Lowe's. It is a railing system that they sell which makes for a nice appearance




On the lower level I constructed built in benches and flower boxes instead of railings. This provides an unobstructed view of the back yard and beyond to the woods. I did not have a plan for the yard yet but always plan for the future. The height of the deck above grade in this area allowed me to do this and not have the railing. The idea for the benches and flower boxes came out of a book similar to the one at the beginning of the post.

 Here you can see how much the ground slopes, I wound up bringing in fill to raise the level so I could have those benches that you see on the left. I am building the stairs which are about twelve feet wide as I didn't want your typical three foot wide set up. I actually worked out great as the steps seem to attract guests for use as a seating area, again it allows sweeping views of the yard. I dug down and poured a concrete footing for the stair stringers to sit on which I did buy from Lowe's. Most pros would cut their own but not for this DIYer, to many angles to figure out. 
Now for some completed deck pictures. You will see my rock retaining wall which supports an area I will eventually turn into a patio. I always try to imagine the finished product in my head before I start and am happy that it usually comes out that way. I always do a ton of research in books and online to get ideas. Hopefully you can use some of mine. If you have any questions please feel free to ask in the comment section.