Monday, March 14, 2011

Kitchen Makeover #2











Transform My Home


My kitchen makeover the second time around had a little, well maybe a lot more thought put into it. (Be sure to check out Kitchen Makover #1 first).  It also helps to have a few more dollars on hand when tackling a kitchen remodel. I spruced up the kitchen when we did our addition in 2007 which I will post on in the future. One major item or items is the appliances, gone is the gold 24 inch wall oven and all the white finishes on the fridge and dishwasher. We are now up to date with all new Jenn-Air stainless steel appliances including a french door fridge, dishwasher, cooktop and 30 inch wall oven/microwave. I tore out the old 24 inch cabinet and built a new one to house the larger oven which is conventional and convection, as is the microwave. Essentially we have double ovens as the microwave can be used as a convection bake oven. I purchased these at S.K. Lavery in West Hartford, I know what you are thinking, $$$$$. Not so, they were actually cheaper there than at Lowe's with free delivery and removal of the old ones. The service has been great as I have had a couple minor problems but I am overall very pleased with the Jenn-Air products. Below is a link to the store.

S.K.Lavery Appliance

This is a shot of the cooktop with four burners and a fifth warming burner. You can also see the wood beadboard backsplash is gone and replaced by a 3X6 subway tiles. It is a nuetral color and has a tumbled appearance with some color variations. I purchased this from Cortina Tile in Plainville. They have a large selection of all kinds of tile and the two women who run the place are super friendly and helpful.


Here you can get a better look at the backsplash and also the new countertop. Gone is the old ceramic tile and wood edge in favor of this high end laminate. I know it is not granite but it looks like it at a fraction of the cost. I did some research and there is info coming out on the hazards of granite with the off gassing causing some health concerns, plus I didn't have the money. One of my best friends who I grew up with fabricates and installs custom laminate counter tops in Simsbury so we did a little barter deal thus the price was right. If you are ever thinking of replacing your countertops check him out, the link is below. He is a super nice guy and has an awesome factory and showroom in an old mill building.

This is close up shot of the countertop which picks up nicely the other colors in the kitchen. It really does look a lot like granite but it is considered a high end laminate so it costs a bit more than your standard color choices. We are totally happy with the appearance and the durability so far.

Scott's Custom Countertops

Replacing countertops is one of the fastest and cheapest things you can do in your kitchen to make a dramatic improvement.

At the same time I replaced the old white enamel cast iron sink with a new stone sink. It is actually a composite material made up of 80% stone. They come in all different shapes and sizes as well as colors, I went with the cafe brown. What I found appealing is they resist scratching and chipping, they are heat resistant and don't stain. After four years it still looks new!! I also replaced the faucet with a new Price-Pfister model from Lowe's. I can't say enough about the faucet and the company as it came with a lifetime warranty. I had a couple issues and needed some parts so I called them up, no questions asked the parts were on the way.

Blanco Sinks

Kitchen Faucets

I also took the opportunity to change the cabinet hardware which I bought from Lowe's as a stock item. All the door and cabinet hardware in the house are now black. I also replaced the ceiling fixture with a hanging pendant over the island and over the table, you guessed it, black. These look cool at night with a clear glass bulb as the metal is punched tin so the light pokes through the holes. These were purchased from Irvine's Tinware. I have a link on the right side of the blog in my favorite websites.


I also removed the ceramic tile from the island and replaced it with a two inch thick wood top which I made in my workshop. It is actually three pieces joined and biscuited together with several coats of a waterproof sealer. At the time of this makeover the color scheme went from blue to black which is in keeping with the rest of the house which you will see in future posts.

Enjoy some completed photos which I hope will inspire and give you ideas for your projects. If you have any questions about any products feel free to ask in the comment section.



FRECH DOOR ADDED

PANTRY STORAGE
PANTRY WORK STATION

KITCHEN BEFORE MAKEOVER #2(same island just new top and paint)

KITCHEN BEFORE MAKEOVER #1(same cabinets just painted white and added decorative routed bead)