The first time I remodeled the kitchen I built an island to have some extra storage and counter space. The color theme then was blue but the $$ was limited so I went with a ceramic tile top to match the other counter tops. During the second remodel I changed the color scheme to black so you can see the new color on the island. I also replaced the top with wood. This is three pieces biscuit joined together and finished with a bunch of coats of sealer. You can also see the island before had no overhang for an eating area thus I added that and some benches. An area rug sits underneath. Links to where I bought materials are below.
 |
| BEFORE WITH TILE TOP |
 |
| AFTER WITH WOOD TOP |
 |
| ADDED NEW TIN PENDANT ABOVE |
THE WOOD TOP CAME FROM MY LOCAL SAW MILL. I then planed, cut and joined the pieces into what you see here. Rounded over the edges a bit and slightly distressed it with my homemade kit. The distressing kit consists of a length of chain for making dents, an awl for making worm holes, a razor blade for scraping out some wood, different size nails for making holes, a torch to lightly burn or bring out the grain and a hammer to bang things up a bit. I have also used plastic covered with gravel and rolled with a rolling pin to dent the wood. I might just do a post on distressing in the future.